1. A blessed and eternal being neither troubles another being nor causes trouble for another being. Due to this, a blessed and eternal being feels neither anger nor favor because either of these implies weakness.
2. Death is nothing to us because the body, when it has returned to the elements, has no feeling, and something without feeling is nothing to us.
3. Pleasure depends upon the absence of pain. As long as there is pleasure, there is no pain in mind our body.
4. Pain does not last long in the body. If it is intense, it is short—pain that suppresses pleasure does not last many days at a time. Long illnesses allow for more pleasure than pain.
5. A pleasant life is impossible without living wisely, well, and justly, and it is impossible to live wisely, well, and justly without living pleasantly. The absence of any one of these three makes a pleasant life impossible.